Monday, July 21, 2008

My So-Called Second Life

Earlier in the year, I had thought about attending the BlogHer '08 conference in San Francisco this summer. I even had Ian encouraging me, agreeing that it was a great idea; that it would be good for me to get away on my own for a weekend. Of course, the more I got to know some of the bloggers who were going, the more excited I got for the chance to attend.

As luck would have it, this was the ONLY weekend that Ian would have to work this summer.

So much for the getaway.

I know I probably could have arranged childcare, but I'm a wimp where my kids are concerned. The last time we went away without them, we heard about it for the next few months and the whining that has already started happening about our upcoming anniversary weekend is giving me the most royal ... well, let's just say I'm not good with whining.

(Speaking of whining, I will not go on about how green with envy I was or how disappointed I am about missing an awesome line up of speakers; or how some of my favourite bloggers were there, bloggers who actually sorta "know" little ole me and I am dying to meet IRL, bloggers who did us so proud, even bloggers looking for BlogHim ... I'll just stop it now).

Wanting to be a part of some form of BlogHer action, I stumbled upon the BlogHer in Second Life conference. I had never heard of Second Life before this, and was intrigued. I signed up with the intent of following some of the activities in San Fran.

I didn't have a chance to check it out until Friday, and I wish I had earlier. Because I had no clue what I was doing. I set up my account, my sexy Avatar which of course looked nothing at all like me in person. That was the fun of it. Boob job, great Posh hair and no muffin top to be found, all for free!!! I could also navigate through various islands, build houses, buy land, chat online, see the "world" from different perspectives, SHOP, and even FLY!!!

That is, as long as I got lucky and could figure out how to do what I needed to do to get the most out of the BlogHer in Second Life conference. But unfortunately, once I got to the conference site, it took me a devil of a time to figure out how to get the live stream audio. And then how to actually take a seat at the right side of the SIMS line.

What really fascinated me is that Second Life is in fact another "world". There are several different worlds, islands, and groups; some bloggers even blog in Second Life. My understanding is that some colleges even run courses on there. Virtual reality at an entirely different level. My son has been on Runescape, and getting him off of that game is like pulling teeth. Having had a glimpse of this similar but on a bigger scale concept at Second Life, I can see how it can just suck a person in. Living another reality, as a different person if I so choose to be.

When I did finally get to hear perhaps 15 minutes of the final keynote speakers at BlogHer (Heather Armstrong and Stephanie Klein) before it went back to typing chatter, I had that eureka moment. Like I had finally made it, was actually there, even if it was a virtual world.

Just a minor detail that I was lying face down under the bleachers and could not figure out how to get back up. If that's what I had to do in order to hear Dooce discuss "live" how she had 42,000 comments on one post, and how she reads each and every comment ever posted on her blog, so be it.

At least I "got" to BlogHer this year.

As for Second Life, I think I really need to get a firm grasp of my First life, first.

So onward toward BlogHer '09 we go...

17 comments:

Miss said...

Already saving!!! Cant wait to meet you there!

Thanks for the comment on Maria's post. No judgement. I knew I loved you for a reason!! *hugs*

J said...

I wanted to go, kinda, but didn't end up going. If you and a few more of my bloggy friends had been there, I might have made more effot, though.

I think that second life stuff can be a HUGE time suck, am I right? Sounds like fun, except for the fake booze. ;)

Rima said...

Maybe I'll see you in '09!

Melissa said...

I'm afraid to get involved in second life because I just don't need any more time sucks in my life. :)

But we'll see about the conference next year.

Beck said...

I have never, ever left my children aside from those times when I was in the hospital giving birth to yet more children OR practically dying. Yes, I know this is mental.

Anonymous said...

That's cool you got to participate through Second Life.

motherbumper said...

I was kind of wondering what it was like in Second Life because I know at the opening keynote they gave a shout out to the SL attendees. Totally recommend it for '09.

Kamis Khlopchyk said...

All these people posting about is making me think maybe, just maybe it would be cool.

But I am terribly afraid no one would like me in person!

:-)

Plus only a few of my blogging friends were going....3 to be exact. I would have felt really cool standing next to one of them and everyone going, Who are you!

April said...

Oh, man, yet another thing I have no time for!!

Gina said...

I want to go in 2009 but I'll probably chicken out.

Anonymous said...

Hopefully I'll get to meet you and so many others there in 09'. But till, isn't it great - technology that is! Bringing to us the conference even if we couldn't make it?

Unknown said...

I wanted to go too! In fact, I even wrote a post about it on my blog! I mentioned how you and I were even talking about being roomies for the event! Boooo hoooo! :(

I did have a legitimate reason for not going this year. The ALL DAY nausea this trimester has been horrible. That coupled with the fact that I haven't been able to eat without getting sick wouldn't have been ideal for a great BlogHer weekend!

Maybe next time :)

Anonymous said...

I really really really (really) hope you can make it to 2009. I would love for a chance to meet you in person!!!

**That sounded pretty cool the second life piece.

Momisodes said...

I wanted to go so badly this year. Sadly, we just didn't have the funds. Perhaps next year I can sit at the cool kid table :)

Anonymous said...

Other than blogher coming to Phoenix (which we KNOW is not going to happen in the middle of the summer...EVER), this blogher would have been the easiest for me to attend. My dad and Stepmom would provide room and board. *sigh*.

Your description of second life cracked me up. I tried it out for about a week, but the slowness drove me bonkers.

OHmommy said...

I actually did not know very many people at BlogHer.

I think next year will BE the year to go... one more year for relatiionships to develop.

HIGH FIVE to the supportive husband.

Anonymous said...

Hopefully we'll see each other at BlogHer '09! That will be my first one, too. SL sounds interesting... I've just been too intimidated to check it out!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin