Thursday, June 11, 2009

Always be my baby

As I was helping my little girl dress for school this morning, she asked me,

"Mommy, did I drool like a dog when I was sleeping?"

And I answered her truthfully.

"You did drool, but it wasn't exactly like a dog."

"Why do animals drool, Mommy?".

"Well, they do sometimes when they're hot, or when they're excited or ready for food."

"But I'm not a dog."

"No, you're not a dog. But humans drool sometimes too. Like babies. They drool when they're teething."

"Oh. So THAT'S why. Because I'm your baby, right Mama?" as she giggled and snuggled into me.

I melted.

"Yup. You're exactly right. You'll always be my baby.", I whispered in her ear as I squeezed her right back.

*****

In the day to day, it's not always top of mind what miracles my kids are. They're great kids, but they still know how to get my goat. But it is always with me, that without help, we may never have had our babies.

And I'll get the occasional nudge when I find out that, yeah, some of the hopeful baby vibes that I've sent out over the internet, do make their mark.

Congrats to my friend Xbox and his wife ET. He was the one who inspired me to open up on my blog about our infertility struggles. And I'd like to think that I was able to give them some hope on their own journey.

Looks like he'll have to switch subject matters now. I can't wait to read his take on the wonders of being expectant parents. Should be a wild nine months!

8 comments:

Martin said...

:-)

Thank you.

Unknown said...

Ohhh! Fantastic post, Karen! My heart melted too! :)

You sent us baby vibes a year ago and we have been blessed with our Little One! Children are truly miracles if you think about it!

I always thought there was a natural order of things and we finish university, start a career, meet someone, get married, buy a house, and have babies. All in that order.

Over the years, I've discovered that this isn't so.

Oh, and the baby thing? If you think about it, all the stars have to be in aligned--The exact time of the month, the exact conditions, the right egg, the right sperm...It's a mix of science, biology...and magic! KWIM???

Congrats to Xbox and his wife. That's exciting news!

Anonymous said...

Yeah for Xbox! I'd leave a comment there, but holy cow! Totally lost! :) I'll keep saying prayers for a great healthy pregnancy...

And yes, they always are our babies. No matter how tall they get.

Martin said...

Comments NEVER get lost over there, I read them all.

Thanks ;-)

jmt said...

Ummm....I'm not a baby nor am I teething...so how do I explain my marks on the pillow? :( I must be part dog.

Having babies is such a crazy, weird thing to be able to do. I always felt so out of the loop when I was pregnant because I couldn't wrap my head around HOW my body could DO THIS...grow this thing...I called my babies things and its. But it was in such a loving way. :)

Kori said...

Well please God keep you baby vibes away from MY neck of hte woods, will you? I have not been spayed, thankyouverymuch.

Mrs4444 said...

OMG! Xbox is expecting!? That is SUCH great news!!! Thanks! And I loved this sweet little snapshot...

Kamis Khlopchyk said...

Aw, that was a wonderful exchange with G and to end with a snuggle? BONUS. We have to treasure the good because with it, comes the not so pleasant part of parenting.

:)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin