Friday, April 09, 2010

Five Minute Friday Fragments

Mommy's Idea

Why five minutes?

Because that's all I've got.

*****

My 9 year old's take on the whole Woods' scandal: "He's not a Tiger, he's a Cheetah."

*****

I went to my first book club meeting, and to be honest it felt like more of an excuse to have some wine, cheese, goodies, and get caught up with friends, and make new ones.

We discussed "The Help", which, by the way, I found to be an excellent read. I'd actually purchased it to read on the plane for my last work trip - but I was so engrossed that I ended up getting to the last few chapters before I got to the airport.

The evening was eye-opening in a way that was a little discouraging. Even in my more liberal neck of the modern day woods, the attitudes that were portrayed in the book (which was written about the 60's in Jackson, Mississippi and dealt with the lives of black housekeepers/maids and the white ladies of the house), still seem to persist albeit in much more subtle ways.

I'll leave it at that.

*****

Have you caught "The Marriage Ref" produced by Jerry Seinfeld yet?

It's absolutely hilarious. The premise is that couples present their marital issues to a panel of celebrities (usually including comedians), and the host of the show makes a decision as to which spouse he will side with in the dispute. It's all fun and the issues are quite trivial (last night, a man refused to eat his wife's green bean casserole which she's been trying to get him to try for 10 years ...) and my husband and I are usually howling like hyenas throughout the show.

Ironically it's become our couple's thing to do on Thursday nights. Go figure.

*****

As a quick catch up, I've managed to hit the Bodyjam circuit with a vengeance.

This is my favourite release so far, Bodyjam 50.


I can't wait for my gym time tomorrow morning.

Don't forget to visit lovely Mrs. 4444's.

Have a good one!





10 comments:

Cid said...

I know what you mean about Book Clubs . Why don't we just be honest and call them Wine & Gossips Clubs but they do serve a very important purpose - a night out once a month.

BusyMamma said...

Good Morning!!
Gotta love that kid of yours! Cheetah is certainly an accurate depiction of T's activities!

Body Jam looks like fun. Glad your back at it!!!

Danifred said...

I have never been part of a book club that actually talked about the book for more than 5 minutes and didn't include alcohol. Apparently, the books were just an excuse to gossip and drink.

Cheeseboy said...

Your 9 year old is a wise, wise boy. And I keep waiting for Seinfeld to be on the show. Is he ever on it?

Kamis Khlopchyk said...

Your boy is a genius! I am so tired of hearing about the cheetah and the string of "victims". Please.

Yay for BodyJam!

jmt said...

Your five minutes is more than I've found lately....I'm glad you did. I might have to invest in that book you mentioned. Many attributes from those times persist today, but as you said...in much more subtle ways. People tend to overlook and pretend that those feelings and attitudes are no longer prevalent...but....some of us know better. :)

Cheetah he might be....but he still pours in money for the sport he's paid to play. Some people will always love him. Some men will always been looking for the next big lay. Some women will always been skanks. :)

bec said...

A good read for a 5 minute post!

You've tweaked my curiousity about "The Help".

I haven't caught the Marriage Ref yet. I've heard it's funny. Another thing I'll have to check out.

As for Tiger, from the golfers I know, they seem happy he's back on tv and the game is getting exciting again. There's sort of been a void in the game. Golf- player is all good, but "cheetah-playah" was what I had to erase from my mind to not cringe (or throw something at the tv) when the masters was on!!!

Unknown said...

"He's not a Tiger, he's a Cheetah." LOL! The Boy is really witty! :)

Wow, Karen! Now I want to read that book! You've piqued my curiosity about "The Help".

Haven't seen "Marriage Ref", but EVERYONE I know has been talking about it. LOL! I have to say that my latest TV indulgence has been for "Spartacus: Blood and Sand". It's pretty graphic (in so many ways), but I just HAVE TO watch it every week! LOL!

Have you seen my aunt at BodyJam lately?

J said...

I haven't heard of 'The Help', but I may check it out now. :)

I saw The Marriage Ref and hated it. But then again, I can't think of any reality shows that I actually enjoy, unless you count cooking shows or home improvement shows. So I'm not the best judge.

J said...

OK, I just put 'The Help' on hold at the local library. My queue position is 796, though, so it might be awhile before I get my hands on it! Thanks for the recommendation.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin