Friday, April 03, 2009

Visiting the motherhood in 80 clicks

The whole time we were going through our infertility struggles, I remember sitting down at various points wondering what it was that drove me to want children so, so badly. It seemed almost obsessive, my drive to become a mother. Bringing me to the brink of insanity, sometimes, the frustration of it all. But I never found a good answer.

I was never one of those 'aw, coochie-coo' ing type of people growing up. Babies were cute, but I didn't necessarily need to have them in my arms. Admiring from afar was fine. Babysitting was a means to an end for me; I'm sure I corrupted many a youngster in my care with bad TV or inappropriate musical fare.

I suppose I'm a lot like my mother in that respect. While she loved and still loves each and every one of her own children and grandchildren, she's just pragmatic about all the rest. A labour and delivery nurse and trained midwife, she could lull a crying baby in half a second, but babies and kids were just part of work. Or in her words, just a lot of work.

Now that I've been a mom for almost NINE years (how in the world did THAT happen?), I can't say that my progeny will not be corrupted with bad reality TV or questionable selections from my iPod. Being a mom is not all about running through the fields and playing hide and seek amongst freshly laundered sheets, singing happy songs during circle time ... there are both good times and bad. But I wouldn't trade it for a second. Not a one.

So in celebration of all things good in the motherhood, I've decided to join the travelling caravan of blogging moms around the world, launched at Her Bad Mother. I share herewith, five things that I love about being a mother :

1/ I love that when I stroke my daughter's face, in awe of her white as snow, soft skin, her doe- eyes turn to me, she throws her little arms around my neck and she whispers "I love you mama" in my ear.

2/ I love that for every moment like this (and this is only 7 seconds, folks, I had to endure 10 minutes of contrived drama):


there are about five more like this:


3/ I love the squeals of wonder when they wake up Christmas morning to see that cookies left for Santa have been devoured and the stockings are stuffed with new little goodies.

4/ I love our good night kisses, the heart-felt "I love you too. See you in the morning"s. And how they usually pass out within three minutes.

5/ I love the Sunday morning snuggle in our king sized bed. We are sleepy, we are fuzzy, we are cozy. We are loved.

I sometimes wish that I could just stop time and capture these wonderful childhood moments in a bottle. That there were some way to savour them time and time again. I know things will change, the children will grow. I only hope that they will always know that the love that their mother holds for them knows no bounds.

*****

And now for the tour... I ask you to visit some other Canadian blogging moms: a new mom, blogging pal C of Random Thoughts & Musings at Manitoulin Island, and newer blogging friends at The Petite Gourmand and Blog like no one is reading.

A couple of moms from the US: Donna at Spuddy Buddy and Domestic Goddess in Training at Love, Laughs and Lice

And a couple of moms from overseas: Etc, Etc, Etc, the lovely Debbie from Japan and tiff and her beautiful family in Australia.

Enjoy.

20 comments:

petite gourmand said...

What a beautiful post and thanks for the tag.
will try to get something down asap

Beck said...

Mothering young children is this sort of exhausting combination of totally beautiful and magical and really, really hard. Lovely post!

Cheryl said...

What a great post. I find myself staring at my son, just taking him all in......these years fly by...

Tara R. said...

Even though it's hard to think of my own as kids any longer, there are still fabulous moments of pure happiness in being their mom. Thanks for sharing this.

Kamis Khlopchyk said...

Beautiful Karen, just beautiful. These moments that you have captured here, with your words, are such a treasure.

You know, for when they are 16 and took the car with out asking.

Not that your kids would do that....

:)

Fine Little Day said...

All sweet.

Unknown said...

Hey Karen!
I am sooo on this one. It's been a week (yes, A WEEK!) since I last blogged! Again, what was I thinking when I thought that I'd have so much "free time" once the baby was home!?! I barely have five minutes to even take a shower! LOL!

Okay, the next post I write will be about this one. Thanks for tagging me!

XOXO

Jenny, the Bloggess said...

Your #5 = Totally my favorite.

Unknown said...

Hi Karen!!
Beautiful post, incredibly beautiful children...thanks for stopping by- the idea of the 80 clicks has already enriched my life.
Hugs from Tuscany,
Jodi

Unknown said...

Hi Karen!!
Beautiful post, incredibly beautiful children...thanks for stopping by- the idea of the 80 clicks has already enriched my life.
Hugs from Tuscany,
Jodi

Asianmommy said...

My youngest is already 4, and I still can't stop myself from picking her up and carrying her around, just to kiss her cheeks and hold her tight.

J said...

I wasn't into other people's kids, either. But I remember feeling like I would have died if I hadn't had my own.

BusyDad said...

This made me chuckle. How true. And my kid falls asleep in 3 seconds as well. That's when I know I did good. Ran him to his last bar of battery. I wonder what our kids think when we break out a camera in the midst of a tantrum/whine session.

louann said...

Beautiful one.

Indeed, the simple things are those that warm our hearts the most.

Momisodes said...

This was so perfect. Spot on. You captured an honest glimpse of motherhood here.
You are so right. There are good times and bad. And it is all worth it :)

Cid said...

Thank you, I will get right on my list of things I love. It make take a while though, it was a long weekend and today is, can you believe it, a f***ing Snow Day!

Jocelyn said...

You managed to be An Overtly Loving Mom without being fake or smarmy, and I appreciate that. The meltdown moment is a scream, btw.

donna said...

Finally done - took me long enough, huh? Thanks for tagging me because I really needed to remember all the good things while I'm in the midst of the Terrible Twos.

Geeky Tai-Tai said...

This is a lovely post, and I really enjoyed those videos!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
http://www.thesandshack.com/ - discount zithromax

The dose and length of Zithromax treatment may not be all the same for every type of infection.
[url=http://www.thesandshack.com/]discount zithromax[/url]
For children, it is prescribed to treat middle ear infection, pneumonia, tonsillitis and strep throat.
zithromax online
To make sure the entire dose is getting inside your body, add a little more water to the same glass, stir it and drink it right away.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin