Thirteen Random Reasons this is a wonderful Thursday:
1. It's a snow day! We got 30 cm of the white stuff last night. School buses are not running; my driveway not yet plowed, I didn't even want to attempt getting stuck. So my kids are home with me today, a comfy, cozy, stay-in day to enjoy the beauty of that white blanket hush that engulfed the street.
2. It's Chinese New Year. So I can put my feet up, enjoy the sunshine from inside the house and have a really good reason not to clean house.
3. My parents stopped by with Dim Sum - whoot!!! The snow was plowed by then. I love watching my boy eat dim sum. He went through two Siu Mai, two shrimp dumplings, two packs of sticky rice, a meatball, and his favourite sponge cake. Then he had room for more cookies and ice cream. Oh, to be 7 again!
4. I convinced my parents to stay and watch "The Painted Veil" with me. I watched it late the other night and fell soooo in love with that film. Such gorgeous cinematography, the Chinese landscape was breathtaking. I knew my parents would like the film with the beautiful backdrop and its love story. I was bawling my eyes out the other night watching it by myself. So I couldn't wait to watch it again.
It brought back memories of China for my Dad...he remembered working the rice fields as a child, and the leeches that would latch onto his legs. He left China at 10 years old; hard to imagine children that young working so hard. But that was the life.
My mother recognized the area being filmed right away because of the picturesque views. Her childhood memories included being carried around by villagers in a carriage as well, and throwing chicken feet to them to eat. They were all poor, but my mom's family had chicken feet to share with them. Yummy!
5. I did some work today, as in work-work. And it was all good. Especially as I didn't have to leave the house; didn't have to even change out of my PJ's if I didn't want to. But I did; something weird about participating in a business teleconference while wearing fuzzy slippers.
6. I'm still feeling the hugs from comments received on my cathartic post. It's amazing how long it can take those scars to heal - I don't know if they will but they've certainly made me a stronger person for it; I hadn't thought about those childhood experiences in a very long time.
I love my bloggy friends.
7. My girl gave some unsolicited hugs and kisses to her grandparents. That is a HUGE thing, from my usually stoic little miss.
8. I'm only choking every 8 hours or so now. So I suppose the inhaler is working.
Just don't tell me a joke. Ian almost made me die laughing.
9. Lipstick Jungle will premiere tonight. I don't know why I'm so excited about that. I used to abhor Brooke Shields; we're around the same age, and growing up her photos were everywhere and she was was so achingly beautiful while I was such a schmuck.
But I've garnered a lot of respect for her since she's become a mother, and been so open with her experiences with infertility and post-partum depression. And she's still achingly beautiful, showing us that sisters her age can really flaunt the hot-mamma-ness (a noun? an adjective? whatevah!)
I hope this show is all it's cracked up to be. And besides, it's a comeback of my one-time crush Andrew McCarthy. Who's not aged extremely well and seems to be a lot shorter than I remember. But he's still the sensitive guy. Not everyone can grow up to be McDreamy.
10. New Tunes. I've been at the library again. I borrowed the solo albums of Richard Ashcroft, Paul Weller, Morrissey, Jully Black, Rob Thomas. I've been playing them here and there all day. My kids are just loving the party.
11. I think I'll just eat all day. I ran into a lady at the gym on Tuesday who hadn't seen me since November. She said it looks like I lost weight. This is all the motivation I need to stuff my face again
12. I created a playlist! I'm deciding whether or not to put it on the blog, because I don't want to have music unsuspectingly blaring from my blog at you (, just in case you're surfing and stumble on here in the middle of an important meeting or while the kids are finally napping - you don't really need to have Finger Eleven snapping you out of your reverie).
13. Hubby is coming home this afternoon, after being away for work for most of the week. And that's a very good thing.