Saturday, November 29, 2008

The Music of my life

We are in the final stretch of NaBloPoMo here, and no one reads on Saturdays anyway, right? So I am grabbing this from Just Miss, who borrowed it from Hockeyman. Here is my life as a movie, as in soundtrack.

Here are the rules:
1. Open your library (iTunes, Winamp, Media Player, iPod, etc)2. Put it on shuffle3. Press play4. When you go to a new question, press the next button5. For every question, type the song that’s playing6. Don’t lie and try to pretend you’re cool. (because face it, you ain’t that cool)

Opening Credits:
Pictures of You - The Cure
Love this song. The Cure figure pretty largely in the music of my life especially after I met the Man. And it's a pretty song.


Waking Up:
Come Together - Primal Scream
Wake up psychedelic dancing, I guess.

First Day at School:
Everything's not lost - Coldplay

How melancholy. This is me, though. I was a very melancholy little thing, very shy, softspoken in school. Didn't like to speak, even when spoken too. Cry at the drop of a hat. Boy, where did that girl go?? This does have some hope to it doesn't it? I guess I turned out all right.

Falling In Love:
Weekend - Kenny Lattimore

This was from a CD we bought from the W Hotel Chicago, where we went for our 10th wedding anniversary. Perfect for this scene, clubby even in the lobby. It was the first time we had been away together alone since becoming parents. It was a couple defining moment, when we realized that we DID have more to talk about than just our kid.

Fight Song:
Neon - John Mayer
Well, sorta weird. But check the guitar work ... awesome.


Breaking Up:
Goodbye Yesterday- Nick Heyward
Remember Haircut 100? Yeah, I'm that old. I loved them, especially their lead, Nick. I guess this might be symbolic of the almost break-up, and then final make-up ie. engagement process that we went through.

Prom:
Sing it again - Beck
Sad song, what imagery in the lyrics. Don't know what it had to do with my prom though...maybe the fact that my hair was a wreck. Yeah, that's the connection.

Life:
Bury Her - Crash Vegas
This CD Red Earth, is timeless. Rather obscure, though, I can't figure out how to link a snippet of this song.

Mental Breakdown:
November Spawned a Monster - Morrissey
...called NaBloPoMo, and I'm killing it, aren't it? Gahhhhh!!!!Great song, though. Uh, the video, I don't know about that...

Driving:
Karma Police - Radiohead
One of my fave songs of all time. Funny that the video features driving.

Flashback:
Tomorrow People - Ziggy Marley & the Melody Makers
Oh, lovely memories of vacationing in the Caribbean, great beaches, sand, Jamaican rum, lean, mean, tanned bodies. Before we had to find beaches with water parks, and kid-friendly was the furthest from our minds ...ironic though, our kids ARE tomorrow people, aren't they?

Getting Back Together:
Blitzkrieg Pop - Ramones
Hah, what a hilarious song for getting back together. I guess we could have been bopping, but I highly doubt it.

Wedding
Reach up for the Sunrise - Duran Duran
What an optimistic song, and a comeback of sorts for these guys. Well, sorta. We saw them live on their reunion tour and they were AWESOME. It was the first concert I went after having the girlie, so after a lovely dinner, wine, and beer I was more than a little tipsy (I even had to pump and dump). But even to inebriated eyes, Simon LeBon doesn't always look like a 50 year old woman, at least not when he's on stage. In all honesty, he's likely the most well-preserved of the group. My fave, John Taylor, is looking a little skeletor-ish lately.

Birth of a Child:
Eyes of a Stranger - the Payolas
This is interesting. I remember the first night alone with the baby boy after he was born, he was all swaddled and facing me in the hospital room. Looking at me and almost saying with those piercing dark eyes, "Hey, are you my mommy, and do you think you're gonna know what to do with me? You'll take good care of me, won't you?".

And my previously terrified heart swelled with such love that I knew indeed, I would do everything in my power to take good care of him. I've never forgotten that moment.

Final Battle:
Soul Mining - The The
Hmmm, no words for this one.

Death Scene:
Choose Life - PF Project featuring Ewan McGregor (Trainspotting soundtrack)
Intense is the only word I can come up with. Amazing what things Ewan has done since this early film. I loved him since then and Shallow Grave. Hard to believe he's Obi Wan and was singing his heart out in Moulin Rouge.

Funeral Song:
Tom Sawyer - Rush
Does not compute at all, but another excuse to listen to a classic. And it's Canadian and all. BTW, Rush in Rio, best concert DVD EVAH!!!! Those Brazilians know every single word and go NUTs over these guys.

End Credits:
Stay Away - Nirvana

No video for this, but man, this song rocks. I forget sometimes what a great drummer Dave Grohl is...

Thanks for listening.

6 comments:

Cherry said...

Ok, that was a little eerie how some of those worked for the categories. And some of them... well... I'm sure some great movie producer could make it work.

Great songs. Far cooler soundtrack then mine would be.

Gina said...

Can I just transfer your music library to my computer? You are so much cooler than me.

dkuroiwa said...

I agree with Gina...you have such an interesting array of music....but that is what makes things interesting, huh? :-D

Hey....remember I told you that a new kind of dance/exercise craze was working its way into Japan? (Even if you don't, just shake your head, okay?! :-D ) The name is Zumba....do you know it?? I was watching the infomercial and it really looks like what you do...hmmmm....i'm not sure i would have the energy...but it does look fun!!!

Have a great Sunday!!! And no...no one reads blogs on Saturday!! :-D

J said...

I love Pictures of You, and the Cure rock. Except we saw them in concert once and they kind of sucked. My heart broke a bit that day.

We have Rush in Rio. SO cool to see how excited everyone is. :)

Beck said...

Hey, that's a fun game! Off to play it myself, too.

Miss said...

NICE list! Totally random and fun right?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin