Sunday, August 22, 2010

So are you still happy?



It's a soggy Sunday morning, the man is on a bike ride, the kids are being hypnotized by their respective screens, so what's a girl to do?

Blog, I guess.

I contemplated participating in Weekly Winners, it would have been easy enough, as I actually have photos, albeit a week late. No videos of course (video camera went MIA on our recent trip, apparently it was a collective "WE" who lost it, and for the sake of my marriage I decided to let it go... which was terribly difficult for me, as you know, as I am nothing if not a superior wife, and maybe I'm still shooting myself that I hadn't personally taken responsibility of it and crazy-glued the thing to my person...did I say I was over it yet...? Honestly, I am.).

Anywhoo, it was a wonderful city vacation. So this will be a wordy Weekly Winners.

Can you guess where we were?









It was great being away from the office for a couple of weeks. Sure, it was right in the middle of major crises but when you think about it, is it ever a good time to take a vacation? But being physically and electronically disconnected (I only checked my e:mail once while away) was critical in keeping everything in proper perspective. Much needed perspective.

I looked back at a post from this time last year. I was posting about Barbie beds, BBQ's and friends turning 40. I was a full time stay at home Mom.

This time THIS year, I unfortunately haven't made the time to renovate Barbie's decor. However, there are still the BBQ's and dinners, and more friends turning 40-plus. In fact, we had a couple over for dinner last night. And I am now a full time work-out of home Mom.

The requisite question came up, from my SAHM friend:

"So Karen, are you still happy with your work?"

How did I answer?

"Yes, I am. Actually as of Friday, rather ecstatic".

I've adjusted fairly well, ya think?

When I was presented the job opportunity last year, the biggest part of my reluctance to move away from doing my own thing and jumping back into the corporate fire was the "people" stuff. And what did I encounter within days of being on the job? People stuff. Big people stuff. As in high frustration and low morale stuff...with no realizable solution in sight. Sort of like staring a corporate Mount Everest in the face.

I was so stressed, so nervous, so "how am I going to do anything about this, I'm the new kid on the block, no one knows me here, the processes are overwhelming and gahhhhhh, I haven't done this sort of thing in five freakin' years!!!!!"

I assigned myself Project Number One. Project number one was to alleviate the pressure. Project number one was to make things happen, for people who saw little hope. I had to put on my thinking hat, brush off my subtle powers of political persuasion ( skills honed by potty training negotiation and perseverance likely helped), put the business case scenario ducks in order...

Project number one, with no realizable solution in sight - is now within a hair's breath of being resolved.

It took me almost a year. But I suppose a year to move a mountain is no small feat.

"Hey Karen, maybe you could move while you talk?" I got a nudge from the hubby as he transitioned our dinner guests into the dining room for the tomato-cucumber-bocconcini salad (oh the powers of Google) that I had literally just thrown together.

I guess I get a bit overly-excited when I talk about work. I always have. And there continue to be mountains to move on the work-life balance front.

So, am I still happy?

There is the next issue, a Mount Vesuvius in the wings ...

But yeah, I'm pretty sure that I am.

8 comments:

Tara R. said...

A lot has happened in the last year, in the last two years! You're strength has amazed me.

I'm glad you're doing so well in your new job. Best wishes for even more happiness.

MARY G said...

The bit about negotiating potty training as a help in office politics reduced me to helpless laughter.
And you are so, so right.

Lotus (Sarcastic Mom) said...

That it fabulous news, Karen. Congrats! I hope you feel the same or better in another year's time.

:)

Jocelyn said...

I'm realizing that even though I've been negligent as a blog reader in recent months, I have been reading you for a fair while, as I remember your return to work, etc. I'm glad you're far enough in to that return to see it in context.

Also, we just lost our video camera last week...so maybe "lose" isn't the right word, as there clearly is a Ring of Video Camera Thieves operating worldwide.

jmt said...

I learned the hard way to never part with the family camera. Not only do Hubs' camera skills suck, but he also is fairly careless with it, thinking it's okay to put it in your pocket. It's NOT. It might click on and try to open and then jack up altogether because it couldn't open because it's in a pocket!! And then the focus is forever lost.

Sorry...where was I????

Kate said...

I found your site from Stacy Uncorked. I love it. I’m going to poke around a little bit, but don’t worry I’ll put everything back where I found it!!
Recommended Daily Dose

Gina said...

Potty training negotiation skills are invaluable. I'm so glad to hear you are still happy!

Knatolee said...

Boston!!

And I'm glad you're happy! :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin