Friday, September 17, 2010

Friday Fragments -I'm not perfect, but I keep trying

Mommy's Idea

Check out my girlfriend's place for Friday Fragging( Mrs. 4444)

*****

I always struggle a bit with the title of my posts. I remember when I was intensely into the blog world, thinking about things like SEO, tag lines that would attract readers, etc. Nowadays, I usually just pick something out of my virtual hat.

The title of this one came right from the radio, at the tail end of a song that I've usually tuned out because it's been so over played. It struck me as perfect for this morning. Can you tell which song it was?

*****

We got up early yesterday morning to rush off to Cross Country practice. The boy was visibly a bit slower than usual - after all, he's never before played almost two straight hours of soccer at the intensity of the previous evening. I asked how he felt.

"Great, Mom. That was so much fun. But I think I should pass on the cross-country this year. I want to focus on the soccer, and save up for tonight. I don't want to be too hard on my body. I'll try out for cross country next year, if I don't make it into rep. "

And off he scampered, to log on to Xbox Live to chat with his overseas best friend.

Hmmmm, I suspect the Xbox had something to do with it. But I think 4 hours of soccer over two days is enough physical activity to balance that. I breathed a bit of a sigh of relief. I could do the shuttling, but it's great that he's taking charge of his own schedule and making his own, logical, decisions.

I am so proud of him for his dedication and ambition to make this soccer thing work. He's been finishing his homework at the after school program, making sure I sign his agenda, keeping me apprised of what's going on and then eating, getting himself ready with his soccer gear, even helping me get his sister ready in between. If he makes it on the team, the excitement will carry us into the crazy schedule.

You must be feeling the glow from me beaming through your screen.

*****

What kind of commenter are you? Because of time constraints, even if I get to most of my fave blogs, I either don't get a chance to comment at all, likely because I have nothing cheeky or clever to say. And I think "great post" is somewhat lame. For me anyway.

Or I'll write comments of epic proportions. Crazy, eh?

I wonder how I had the discipline to work from home, when I was blogging with greater intensity. Oh yeah, I didn't really - explains why I was often working into the wee hours of the night. I suspect that a lot of bloggers blog while at work. I've made a decision not to do that, even during my lunch break. Just my own rule - not judging, or anything. It'd be easy enough to do as I have an actual door (yeah, big thing... I had an office for years, then went to open concept, which was tough after having a real door... so when I took this job it was imperative that I got my door back. How Les Nessman of me. Speaking of which, didn't you just love WKRP?
Oh wait, you're too young to remember.)

*****

I must, must, just say: Jon Hamm.

Actor Jon Hamm attends the Toronto International Film Festival press conference for 'The Town' at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Toronto, Canada on September 10, 2010. ( UPI / Christine Chew ) Photo via Newscom

He was in town for the TIFF. Sigh and double sigh.

Hey, I still love my husband. But this guy, he's even Jon Stewart's "free pass".

So, I can be forgiven for just looking.

Come to think of it, I think I love Jon Stewart too.


*****

We're going to a family wedding tomorrow. My family on my father's side.

This will be the first time that we'll be together with our family, our larger extended family, since my Dad's funeral.

Weddings and funerals. Family time.

Wish me luck. I think it might be a bit of an emotional weekend.

*****

Thank goodness I'll be seeing my husband again tonight.

Yeah, he's been away all week playing "surfer dude" at a work event down in San Diego (remember the Bruno wig... yeah, I'll let you imagine that in your mind...)

And I can't wait. Boy do I miss him.

15 comments:

Bethany said...

I totally agree I would to post a comment on all my favorite blogs, but sometimes I just don't have anything to say...and then I feel bad...

jp said...

about comments. I like to leave them but like you, I hate saying "great post" although sometimes it is all I have time to say and I want the writer to know I was there and connected with them ya know? but with time constraints sometimes it is hard, but I try to read as much as possible.

Enjoy the wedding! :)

Kat said...

What a smart boy you have! I love how logical he is. I hope my boys are like that as they get older too. :)

Have fun at the wedding!

Barbara said...

I don't leave posts on every blog I visit. That would be crazy because I would be spending my whole day leaving comments. However, the regular blogs I go to, the ones where I have more of an "emotional investment" in, I will leave a comment.
Leaving comments is much like responding to emails or texts for me. It's important to let my regular haunts know that I was there and I was reading.

won said...

I can feel your pride with the soccer dedication! It is indeed an extremely cool thing to see happening.

I think lame or not (comments), we all like the validation of someone responding to our public writing...otherwise, why would we bother to do it publicly?

Karen and Gerard said...

Sounds like your son is being very sensible and responsible. What a nice thing for you!

Commenting does take extra time and I don't always leave comments, but try to just because I think it's nice to let people know I visited.

If I find some free time at work, on occasion I will send a draft post as an email to myself at home. I never actually post anything at work though or read blogs.

Stopping by from Friday Fragments.

jmt said...

I didn't realize comments held people up so much. I just start typing....usually a bunch of blurb. Maybe I just think that I can relate to everything so I pretend that I do?

I was just thinking while reading this particular post that:

1. Don't know the song but keep picturing U2.
2. Wishes my 12 year old would be diligent enough to show his homework instead of me asking to see it.
3. Getting frustrated with my college football team b/c it's on the tv as I type this.
4. I used to blog at work when I was terribly bored with literally NOTHING to do, for 8 hours. I do not blog at work any longer. AT ALL.

LBDDiaries said...

I love WKRP - and thanks to TV Land, no one needs to know if we're old or not (hoho). And even short comments are better than no comments!! Great post (smile) - it was! I enjoyed it and bet your reunion with hubby was good - wanna blog about that???

Kristin - The Goat said...

If I've clicked over from Google Reader, I'll leave a comment. I also try to leave a comment on all of Mrs. 4444's Friday Fragments posts and Saturday Sampling. Sometimes the FF group is too large and I don't get through it all, but I do try.

On the DVR right now is the WKRP episode where the turkeys are falling. It's one of my favorites.

Kristin - The Goat

Kamis Khlopchyk said...

I would be beaming too, that boy of yours is something fantastic!

I would have to make a no blogging at work rule too if I went back...my contract work though, it's easy to do both - I don't get paid unless I am working and I am very careful to keep the blogging and working separate. At a salaried position, that would be impossible.

As for comments, I hear you, it's tough. I know I like to hear great post just because I know you read it but also completely understand that it takes time. Just do what makes you happy, that is what matters most!

Family Adventure said...

Go L boy! Crossing fingers! Keep us posted on the soccer tryouts!
Hope you had a good weekend away en famille...

melissa said...

i suck at leaving comments, which is why i hardly, if ever, do.

that's probably why i don't get a ton of comments on my blog, i guess you have to give to receive.
sigh.

i miss you!!
come to san diego for blogher 11!! please!!

Colleen - Mommy Always Wins said...

Let's see...
1) My guess would be some Eminem song - but only because his songs seem to be on the radio EVERY FIVE FREAKIN' MINUTES.
2) How great that he made his own, logical decision. My kids are just entering the age of "after school activities" and it may just drive me mad. Hold me.
3) Sporadic. I have weeks where I read blogs like mad, other weeks where I rarely read any at all, and others still where I read just a few. And I'm fine with that.
4) Yum. With a side of yum sauce.
5) How was the wedding? Didja dance yer feet off?

Curiosity Killer said...

Oh how I missed you. Weddings and funeral. Babies growing up becoming leaders of tomorrow.

And yes, Jon Hamm is FINEeee..

x

April said...

Jon Stewart's "free pass" led to a very interesting dream for me that night. That's all I'm saying.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin