Thursday, April 17, 2008
Thursday Thirteen - 13 bags o' Loot
Preparations for the big party for the boy's 8th birthday, are the major part of today's agenda.
I swore that last year would be THE last of the big parties. There were a dozen boys at his 7th, and it was manageable. Certainly an improvement over the previous years' gatherings (25- 30 kids ?!!! Nuts, I tell ya. Thank goodness for indoor playgrounds).
This year I thought he'd want to do something smaller. But his chosen activity is Laserquest. So his fractured clavicle is not the best accompaniment for the festivities. The Dad, however, has promised that he will give the group a talk about the injured birthday boy before they head out on their quest. Who knows, they may form a posse around him ... wouldn't that be a hoot!
What's left to do? The big thing is the LOOT bag. I am at a loss; 8 year old boys are a difficult demographic. Here are my thirteen possibilities for thirteen loot bags:
1. Silly putty
2. Chocolate bars
3. 3-D puzzles
6. Key chain (boring but reliable)
7. Pocket volcano
8. Noisemaker. Parents. Would hate me.
9. Gift cards for Starbucks. Parents. Would love me.
10. Gift Certificates for ice-cream. But then that would be too organized.
11. Stickers. But I suspect they’re too old now.
12. Snake, frogs, rubbery things. They may as well learn about rubbers now.
13. Mini lava lamps. Rather useless, but then so is the other stuff.
If you have any other more brilliant ideas (and I'm positive that there are tons), just let me know.
I suppose I should be happy for this momentary reprieve. The girlie starts kindergarten in the fall - and the big party playground circuit starts all over again come winter.